Sunday, June 19, 2016

Lily whelped tonight!....or still is...

Lily went into labor Saturday morning around 12:00 pm.  Her first pup was born at 3:47.  She was huge so I knew she would have more that the ONE pup she had her first litter with Boomer!


The first pup all dried off.  A big boy that looks to be a red and white.

Second pup came somewhat later at 6:13 pm,  a beautiful almost white spotted puppy, a girl this time.



Third puppy was born after a long nap--8:27 a big puppy with bold spots. Another girl.

A long time went by and then finally more pushing at 10:15! He was so funny with his solid white belt across his rear end.





I gave Lily a shot of Calcium then and she got a burst of energy...she had also been given a few spoons of canned food after each puppy since she was willing and hungry.  
Next came at 12:27.  A boy this time.  First without a tail. 

12:34 and more pushing ---female without a tail too...We would lose her the next day...she was having trouble breathing from the first moment and had a "spongy" body when she was born.  Number 6


Then at 12:46 she pushed out a 7th puppy:  one boy with a panda-eye...all the pictures I took were blurry though!  



All nursing quietly at 1:01 am, but then at 1:07 came the 8th: Girl with a screw tail.


Then at 1:33 the last puppy came this time a girl with a crazy zig zag on her back






Finally at 2:30 I crashed...just couldn't stay up any longer.  I tried standing, sitting everything but I was just too tired and so was she.  At 4:10 I woke up to find her sleeping with two stillborn pups still covered in the birth membranes.  Neither I nor Lily had stirred to help them.  One was still warm at 4:10 but I could not revive the little one.  A sad reminder that these dogs cannot whelp alone or outside like most dogs since I had helped her clean each pup and get them started until that time.  She had a very easy but extremely long labor, over 12 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment