Tuesday, September 23, 2014

taking care of puppies...

Now is the hard part.  Night after night of little sleep.  Waking at every peep.  2 hour "naps" at night while Salty is outside or in the kitchen pining to be back with her litter.  Its getting better though, I find puppies all able to get latched on just fine on their own and when I just can't wake myself now and sleep on for 4 hours I see she has moved and changed position but everyone is fine.
 Count 1 ...2...3...4...5...6...7 puppies visible when I lean over the end of the bed and look.  They are all strong and I check each time for fat, plump bellies.

Now I handle them and hold them upside-down and play with each little paw.  This is part of their human-training.  In 8 short weeks they will have to be still, get nails done, be well mannered, be obedient, know their human is someone to be trusted and IS very familiar.  It starts now when they are just getting to know their world.  They only smell me now and some hearing but mostly touch and smell.  I can see their little ears unwinding inside and soon hearing will be much sharper.  In another week or so eyes will be cracking open and the real fun will begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment